Chocolate is a staple for holiday desserts, but to make your dessert stand out, adding a little bit of pepper and spice will really bring out the rich chocolatey flavors. Typical recipes to make spicy chocolate involve adding dried cayenne pepper or chili powder, but this can leave the dessert dry and chalky. For the best punch of flavor, hot sauce is your answer! Revved Up Spicy Cayenne will add the perfect hint of pepper, or if you want something a little sweeter and a little spicier, Peri-Peri Ghost Pepper hot sauce will surely do the trick!
For tasty chocolate bark or spicy chocolate bars, just add 1 teaspoon of hot sauce for every 24 ounces of melted chocolate. Its so easy! And for presentation, you can sprinkle crushed red pepper flakes on top for a hint of color!
HOW DO YOU MELT CHOCOLATE WITHOUT IT BURNING?
- Direct heat burns chocolate really quickly. We recommend a double boiler.
- Never add water to the chocolate. This will make it lumpy. If it starts looking dry add some pre-heated heavy cream or whole milk.
- Make sure the chocolate you are melting is chopped in uniform pieces, such as chocolate chips or wafers. This way it melts with a smooth consistency.
- Once the chocolate is smooth and silky, immediately remove it from the heat so it doesn’t dry out. You can always reheat later if it hardens too fast!
Now that you know why and how to use spicy chocolate in your desserts, here are some easy all-star recipes to spice up your desserts!
Hot Chocolate is the perfect holiday beverage, but some spice can make it even better! Our recipe adds elevated and rich flavors. The best alcohol to make boozy hot chocolate is brandy or Grand Marnier.
EASY SPICED HOT CHOCOLATE
6 cups skim milk
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
Optional: 2-4 shots of brandy or Grand Marnier
Peri-Peri Ghost Pepper hot sauce
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat until lukewarm.
- Stir in the cocoa powder and sugar until completely dissolved. If using brandy or Grand Marnier add to taste until the desired sweetness.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon, chili powder, nutmeg, and cloves. Heat for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, pour in your desired chocolate sauce, and stir in a few drops of Peri-Peri Ghost Pepper hot sauce until the desired spiciness (we recommend 2 drops per tablespoon of chocolate sauce).
- Pour into mugs, add your toppings, and serve!
Flourless Chocolate Cake is a rich and fudgy dessert everyone is sure to love. And if you celebrate Passover, this will be a hit at your seder table.
SPICY FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE
½ cup water
¾ cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
1tsp Revved Up Spicy Cayenne hot sauce
18oz bittersweet chocolate squares
1 cup unsalted butter (cold)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease one 10 inch round cake pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water, hot sauce, and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
- Melt the bittersweet chocolate (see tips above!). Pour the chocolate into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into cubes and individually beat each cube into the chocolate. Beat in the hot sugar mixture.
- Once combined, slowly beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place this pan in the center of a roasting pan and place in oven. Pour water into roasting pan about 1inch deep, or until water level is halfway up the side of the cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet. Chill cake for at least four hours (or overnight) in its pan. Once solidified, flip over pan and release cake onto serving dish.
Having a taco party? Churros are a great, easy dessert that everyone loves! Here’s how to make the best chocolate dipping sauce to complete the dish.
EASY CHOCOLATE DIPPING SAUCE
8oz milk or dark chocolate, chopped into even pieces
3-4 fluid oz heavy cream
1 tsp honey or agave nectar
2 tsp Spicy Cayenne hot sauce
2oz unsalted butter
- Heat the heavy cream. Pour into bowl and add in chocolate.
- Place bowl over bowl of simmering water, make sure top bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir slowly.
- When the chocolate melts evenly, add butter, syrup, and hot sauce. Stir well until ingredients are fully combined and chocolate is a smooth, silky consistency.
- Remove from heat, and serve!
Dip your churros into this chocolate sauce for a sweet and flavorful treat! This sauce is also great as a chocolate rim on a martini glass, or to dip your favorite fruits into!